Re: [exim] "sender verify" problem

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "sender verify" problem
On 10 Dec 2004 at 15:12, Henry Kupets wrote about
    "Re: [exim] "sender verify" problem":

| I've replaced the *require verify = sender* line with
|
| deny message = sender verification failed
|            hosts = !+sunhosts
|                 !verify = sender
|
| but I still can not send email from the servers in the *sunhosts* list
| to the Internet.

As has already been mentioned, you will have to arrange for the SMTP
envelope sender address to be a valid public address if you want to
send from these machines to external addresses.

| For instance if I want to send some log file from one
| of my Sun boxes (that is on the *sunhosts* list) to some Verizon user my
| 'smart mailer' returns the error:
|
| 2004-12-10 15:01:34 1CcqxJ-0006QW-Pk ** diauser@???
| R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL
| FROM:<root@???> SIZE=2084: host
| oe-ismta1pub.managedmail.com [206.46.164.24]: 553 dia20.dia.state.ma.us
| does not exist

Read the above carefully, this has nothing to do with the
configuration of your smarthost. The *remote* MTA is refusing the
message because of the invalid sender address. You don't have
control over other sites decisions about when to do sender
verification. If you want to send mail to such sites, you have to
use valid sender addresses.

- Fred