Re: [exim] DENY vs. DROP

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] DENY vs. DROP
Marc Perkel wrote:
> The drop does send a reason before dropping the connection. And I am
> using it in cases where there's nothing they can do to redeam themselves
> - like being blacklisted - or impersonation one of my servers - or other
> tricks that only spammers use. If they trying to impersonate one of my
> domains why keep the connection open while they do a dictionary attack?
> My thinking is that if I'm going to reject them no matter what then why
> not hang up on them?

If you have the resources, you can start delaying them if they are
blacklisted. Do that as early as you can. That could slow their progress
to other servers. I'm starting to do this now as opposed to just dropping
them. I only respond at rcpt to with "Unknown user or blacklisted". Some
time, I'll get an URL there to explain.