Re: [exim] Sender Callout Verification on non-default NI

Author: Dan Shoop
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender Callout Verification on non-default NI
At 10:45 PM +0000 12/7/04, Tony Finch wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Dan Shoop wrote:
>>
>> My "Duh!" moment occurred when there were no static routes. Here if I tried
>> using the "telnet> open -s 10.123.119.19 17.254.13.6 25" command w/o the
>> static route I got the same SYN_SENT behavior as I was seeing with
>>exim. This
>> is I presume the point you were trying to make.
>
>You give me more credit than is necessary - I was just after information
>that I would need to have a chance of working out what is going on.

Well just seeing the direction of questioning was telling.

>I think that you're suffering from the weak endpoint model, which assumes
>that all the interfaces on a host are equivalent from the point of view of
>routing. So (from this prespective) it makes perfect sense to send packets
>out of en1 with a source address that refers to en5, because en1 is how
>you get to the destination.

I'll take a look at this using tcpdump.

>When it comes to Exim and Telnet disagreeing, I wonder if this is to do
>with the route being configured after Exim has opened the connection. If
>so, it might be that the route is cached with the connection (this would
>depend on the version of Unix you are running).

I don't follow. FWIW, the OS is Darwin/Mac OS X.
--

-dhan

Dan Shoop                                                   AIM: iWiring
Systems & Networks Architect                     http://www.iwiring.net/
shoop@???                                 http://www.ustsvs.com/

pgp key fingerprint: FAC0 9434 B5A5 24A8 D0AF 12B1 7840 3BE7 3736 DE0B

iWiring designs and supports Internet systems and networks based on
Mac OS X, unix, and Open Source application technologies and offers
24x7, guaranteed support to registered clients, at affordable rates.