[exim] Re: date header to date conversion?

Author: Marilyn Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: date header to date conversion?
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> Hello Exim Gurus,
>
> I have to make a sortable string from the incoming Date: header and
> attach it to my maildir tags.
>
> I don't see anything anywhere to help me do that in exim. But I
> thought I'd ask here before I forge ahead and figure out something for
> myself.
>
> Is there anyway to do it, not from scratch?

Just in case anyone else thinks about doing this: don't!

First I did it as a set of expansions in exim. That slowed things
down so much that when I turned on -d+expand, the other side of my
application testing would time-out, which was a good exercise.

So, I boldly went in and added an expansion item to the exim source.
That turned out to be fun because the source is so easy to read and
modify. But then I realized that my algorithm isn't very good, when
daylight savings time comes and goes, I simply can't know for sure.
But apparently, PHP has a function that does it.

So, I put the whole $h_Date: in the filename and let the
user-interface programmer run the PHP function over it.

And we consider it solved.

Just a report,

Marilyn Davis