Re: [exim] RE: Deliberate delay of incoming mail

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RE: Deliberate delay of incoming mail
On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:51:30PM +1100, Chris Williams said:
> Hey there,
> I've got a main mail server (with corresponding MX record for the domain)
> with a flaky internet connection, so it goes down every once in a while. I
> don't really mind for most of the domain's email addresses because the
> connection eventually comes back up, and all the email eventually comes in.
> However, for one of my email addresses I need an out of office auto reply to
> be sent out immediately.
>
> So I want to setup a secondary mail server at a different location that will
> be a secondary mail server. I want to set it up to respond to just one email
> address with an out of office reply. Any other email addresses, I want exim
> to tell the other mail server to delay sending that message (so that it
> eventually hits the main mail server when it comes back up, instead of
> getting lost on the secondary email server.)
>
> Is this possible? Or is there a better solution?

accept local_parts = foo
       domains     = bar.com

defer  domains     = bar.com

Then figure out some router/transport combination, such that mail for
foo@??? both generates an OoO reply and gets forwarded when the
primary comes up.

I don't know that this is advisable (why on earth would I wnat to get an
email saying "I haven't gotten your email yet, but I really look forward
to it"?) but it is possible.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Support your local police force --      |
|  steve@???             | steal!!                                 |