Re: [exim] Small modification for queue runners?

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Michael Haardt
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Small modification for queue runners?
[ On Thursday, December 2, 2004 at 11:18:39 (+0100), Michael Haardt wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] Small modification for queue runners?
>
> o I am backup MX for a bunch smaller sites

If they contribute significantly to your queue load then you should
consider doing their work on a separate host or hosts.

Further if they consistenly always contribute a lot of undeliverable
messages to your queues because their primary MX hosts are not regularly
available then you should _strongly_ suggest to those folks that they
give up on trying to operate their own primary MX and instead simply
fetch their mail from your server(s) by IMAP or POP. SMTP is really
only intended to be used on a fully, 7x24, connected network and the
store-and-forward design is simply a reliability and integrity feature
intended only to handle _rare_ exceptions to normal connectivity and
operation.

Even though SMTP is by its design a store-and-forward protocol, SMTP
queues are not very good for "long-term" storage of some messages
especially when the vast majority of other messages will never sit in
the queue for more than a minute or so.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>