Re: [exim] Filter apparently being ignored in exim4.43.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Bevis R W King
CC: Tony Finch, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Filter apparently being ignored in exim4.43.
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Bevis R W King wrote:

> I'm really hoping I haven't been an idiot here, but I'm pretty certain
> the logic has changed from exim-3 in this context, 'cos it used to work.

Yes, something has changed. Here is the ChangeLog entry from release 4.20:

34. Changed (incompatibly, but hopefully not so it affects anyone) the
    appendfile transport in the case when it is called directly as a result of
    a .forward or a filter file requesting a delivery to a file. Previously,
    any settings of "file" or "directory" were ignored in this case. Now they
    are used. The path received from the router is in $address_file (as
    before) and can therefore be included in the expansion.

The reason why I was hopeful that it would not affect anybody was that
even in the Exim 3 default configuration there was this:

# This transport is used for handling deliveries directly to files that are
# generated by aliasing or forwarding.

  address_file:
    driver = appendfile
    delivery_date_add
    envelope_to_add
    return_path_add

In other words, I was assuming that people would already be using a
separate transport for deliveries to files that were generated by
aliasing and forwarding, and that nobody would be doing what you did.

Oh well, Exim 4.20 was released on 12 May 2003, so it did take 18 months
for me to be proved wrong...