[exim] ${if in Filters (Exim 3.35)

Author: Richard Torrens
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] ${if in Filters (Exim 3.35)
In article <001901c4d1f6$6f858d80$0a01a8c0@pbdesktop>,
Peter Bowyer <peter@???> wrote:
> Richard Torrens <richard@???> wrote:

[Snip]

> 1) You should consider upgrading, your version of Exim is coming up for 3
> years old and barely supported

Not my choice: I simply run a virtual domain.

However the host is indeed upgrading.

> 2) Having said that, the filter syntax hasn't changed since your version,
> and is fully documented at
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/filter.html (Your version).

Been there, read it (several times). Understanding comes only slowly. Some
of the config syntax (mainly variables) is available at filter level.

> You've confused general config file syntax with filter syntax. You need
> something like

> if
> $recipients_count is above 1
> then
> logwrite ....
> save ...
> endif

Ah, right, that explains it.

> That assumes that $recipients_count is available in a filter in Exim 3 -
> the docs are not explicit on this.

Yes, this filter appears to work. Thanks.

I have tested $recipients_count and, yes, it is available: I can cause it
to be logged in my main logfile. However, it's passed from the config
setup, so I can't use the
/usr/lib/sendmail -bf .forward < test1
to check it!

However, this test now doesn't fall over at this point, so presumably the
filter's OK, just that in this test, $recipients_count isn't set.

> You might also look at the 'personal' test for the sort of thing you're
> trying to do - might help.

> Peter

Richard Torrens
4QD manufacture speed controllers for battery electric motors.
www sites http://www.4QD.co.uk http://www.4QDtec.com http://www.4QD.org
All email addresses are copyright.
Resale or use on any lists is expressly forbidden
---------- We use a RISC PC 32 bit RISC computer ----------------