Re: [exim] "sender verify defer" although no "verify sender"

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Marten Lehmann, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] "sender verify defer" although no "verify sender"
At 10:00 pm +0100 2004/11/23, Marten Lehmann wrote:

>thanks, I will do this on our relay, because right now the relay
>accepts everything authenticated, even with wrong return-path, but
>our incoming mail server rejects wrong return-paths, so the relay
>can't send a bounce because the address given in the return-path
>doesn't exist and the incoming mail is refusing it so after 7 days
>the message is deleted on the relay. And most customers are not
>amused about that.

well, I am glad that you find that useful. To be honest I also accept
anything authenticated, only that I deal with not that many users, so
I would notice wrong return paths and could pull them by their ears
or kick them out, and in two years we had not a single wrong envelope
sender. But since you presented us with the problem, I think that
I'll implement this on our servers too, before I enforce return-path
----> alias ----> authenticating user

Sorry if my previous reply was a bit stroppy!

Giuliano