Re: [exim] exim capabilities fo 10-30 K email accounts

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Tony Finch
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] exim capabilities fo 10-30 K email accounts
[ On Wednesday, November 17, 2004 at 12:19:49 (+0000), Tony Finch wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] exim capabilities fo 10-30 K email accounts
>
> This load is spread across 7 machines currently, each with dual 1GHz PIII
> and 1GB RAM. The message store is separate, and consists of 16 machines
> running Cyrus each with 2.4GHz Xeons and 3GB RAM and battery-backed LSI
> MegaRaid disk systems with 350GB usable space. The standard user quota is
> 250MB.

Holy overkill Batman!!!!

> The machines aren't stressed, which is how we like it :-)

I should hope not! :-)

You could probably win the next distributed.net competition, and find
the next ET for SETI, all single handedly with your spare cycles! (and
still not make the machines even breath hard!) :-)

_Sixteen_ uber machines for only 4.5K simultaneous IMAP connections?!?!?!

Even with 20 POP connects per second you could probably do with just two
machines of that class.

(though with 20 POP/s I'd be working hard to wean those users off POP
and get them using IMAP where resource loads are far more predictable
and managable!)

Even with all the AV and SpamAssassin crud running you _should_ be able
to support upwards of 50 times as many users (and perhaps 50 times the
volume too, depending on average message size) with such a configuration.

I do hope you expect a lot of growth soon or else I'd say someone wasted
a lot of money on that cluster!

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>