Re: [exim] exim capabilities fo 10-30 K email accounts

Author: Tony Finch
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim capabilities fo 10-30 K email accounts
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Mike Richardson wrote:

> We're doing a system for 30-45K users and the metrics needed to design it
> were things like volume of mail per hour, number of mails, user connection
> method and profile (POP, IMAP, web mail), mail size distribution,

We have about 30K users, and about 250K-300K messages per day, mostly
legitimate (we reject about a million messages per day at SMTP time).
About half of the messages are run through SpamAssassin and all of them
are run through ClamAV and McAfee.

The machines are also running a POP3 and IMAP proxy which directs
connections to the correct message store machine, to give the impression
of a unified message store. We have up to about 4.5K concurrent IMAP
connections; POP connections are very short so have low concurrency
but a high connection rate (20 per second).

This load is spread across 7 machines currently, each with dual 1GHz PIII
and 1GB RAM. The message store is separate, and consists of 16 machines
running Cyrus each with 2.4GHz Xeons and 3GB RAM and battery-backed LSI
MegaRaid disk systems with 350GB usable space. The standard user quota is
250MB.

The machines aren't stressed, which is how we like it :-)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: NORTHEAST 4 OR 5 INCREASING 6. RAIN LATER. GOOD BECOMING