Re: [exim] Why did this message get frozen?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Goerzen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why did this message get frozen?
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, John Goerzen wrote:

> Here is the note Exim sent me:

Which release of Exim?

> Message 1CRm0w-0002fM-Dr has been frozen.

The reason for freezing should be in the main Exim log and in the
message's own message log.

> The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> smoberly@[blah]: Connection timed out
> glad@[bpah]: smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x000b:
> +terminated by signal 11
> mph+freeciv@[blah]: Connection timed out
> freeciv@[blah]: Connection timed out

That signal 11 doesn't look good.

> Why did it freeze then?

Because the transport process crashed. Which is why I asked "which
release of Exim?" If it is the lastest release (4.43) then please run a
delivery test on this message with debugging turned on. As an Exim admin
user, do this:

exim -d -M 1CRm0w-0002fM-Dr 2>/some/file

The debug output will be written to /some/file. As there are timeouts
involved, this might take some time. You can "tail -f /some/file" in a
different window to keep track of what is happening. The debug output
might give some clue as to why the crash is happening. If you are not
running the latest release, please upgrade to the latest release and try
that.