[exim] Why did this message get frozen?

Author: John Goerzen
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Why did this message get frozen?
Hi,

I've got a message that has been frozen and I can't figure out why.

Here is the note Exim sent me:

Message 1CRm0w-0002fM-Dr has been frozen.
The sender is <freeciv-[blah]@freeciv.org>.

The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
smoberly@[blah]: Connection timed out
glad@[bpah]: smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x000b:
+terminated by signal 11
mph+freeciv@[blah]: Connection timed out
freeciv@[blah]: Connection timed out

Now, these messages have been on the queue for less than 24 hours. I
*installed* Exim less than 24 hours ago. I can't find anything in the
logs other than what's show above, although there were some 451 errors
from the remote from the second one.

My retry settings are all the defaults; namely:

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

The message in question is also not a bounce message; it's a message
sent out by Ecartis to a mailing list. According to what I've read in
the spec, this shouldn't cause it to be frozen.

Why did it freeze then?

Thanks,
John