Re: [exim] exim 'problem'?

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 'problem'?
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Brian wrote:

> Jethro R Binks wrote:
>
> > And you never have maintenance?
> >
> > And you never do upgrades?
> >
> > And you never have power outtages?
> >
> > Are you hiring?
>
> If you have a hard time keeping Exim and FreeBSD stable..

I don't have a hard time with either; I use both extensively; together and
in other combinations.

> I can see why you would be looking for work.
> maintenance is planned, upgrades are planned, our generators run on natural
> gas.

I'm not looking for work. But I do wish I lived in your perfect world
where I could entrust my users' emails to such a fast, if rather volatile,
queue storage, and have the confidence that there will never be such a
failure or other circumstance that causes mail on the queue to be lost.
Maybe you have a good script at the ready for when they call after an
unforseen disaster (after all, isn't 'unforseen' the nature of most
disasters?) ...

Out of curiosity, and to bring this vaguely back to subject, do you deal
with so much email that having your mail queue in memory like this is
significant enough performance benefit to run that risk?

> I thank you for your help with my problem.

Seems like you solved it without my help anyway!

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK