Re: [exim] More embedded Perl functionality

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] More embedded Perl functionality
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, John W. Baxter wrote:

> On 11/4/2004 7:42, "Alan J. Flavell" <a.flavell@???> wrote:
>
> > I thought one of the hopes of greylisting is that by the time you're
> > ready to accept mail from a new sender, if they're an abuser there'll
> > be a good chance that they spammed their way into blacklists while you
> > were waiting?
>
> I've seen that happen sometimes, but not often enough to matter. But
> perhaps that's because we try only to use conservative dnsbls.

Well, DNSbls are one kind of blacklist, yes; but there might also be
local (e.g rate-limiting) blacklists.

Then again, we don't outright *reject* on the less-conservative
blacklists, but we do toss a few spam points into spamassassin's pot
for e.g Spamcop listing; so there's a chance that by the time our
greylisting delay had run out, they'd have got into one of those lists
and increase the probability of our spamassassin rejecting them.

[The above is partly theoretical, since we don't actually use
greylisting at the moment.]