Re: [exim-dev] Standardizing the Exim documentation

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Christoph Kliemt
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Standardizing the Exim documentation
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Christoph Kliemt wrote:

> Since XML docbook is a moving target i am afraid that there has to be
> done a lot of superfluous work just to keep up with current versions.

What is moving? In my experiments, what was generated by Asciidoc seemed
to be the same as the markup described in the 1999 O'Reilly DocBook
book. It's all relatively simple stuff. Certainly the ways of processing
it are changing, though.

> Edit the xml-source with a "validating" xml-Editor. I use an sgml-mode
> in xemacs.

I don't use emacs, and I know I'm not the only person in the world who
doesn't. :-) The "conglomerate" editor is such an editor and no doubt
there may be others in future.

> Cocoon is worth to have a look at. http://cocoon.apache.org/

I'll take a look.

> figures: what about svg?

I didn't know about that. Again, I'll take a look. Thanks for the
pointer.

> Texinfo: If there is a xml-masterfile i do not see why there cant be
> stylesheets that do that transformation. I did not have a closer look at
> this, but google delivered 940 hits for "xslt stylesheet texinfo".

Sure, but you need something to do the processing. As I said, it looks
like there are projects for doing this, but I didn't have enough time to
fully work it through.

Regards,
Philip