RE: [exim] '421 lost input connection' error.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alastair Varnals
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: RE: [exim] '421 lost input connection' error.
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Alastair Varnals wrote:

> I've run 'exim -bh 127.0.0.1' under ltrace and put the final part of the
> output at:
>
> http://drizzle.zigg.net/exim.ltrace.txt
>
> (there are some long lines that won't look nice in an e-mail message). I can
> make the whole output available if anyone thinks that would be helpful.

No time to look at the moment, I'm afraid.

> It looks as if it all goes wrong when the call to read() to collect input
> returns -1.

That sounds exactly right.

> Why this should happen only when Exim is linked with libpq I cannot
> comprehend.

I'm afraid you have a really Deep Mystery, and these things often take
quite some time to diagnose. I checked the FAQ for mention of pgsql, and
found just this one item:

  Q0092:  The error message Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
          occurs when I try to use Exim with PostgreSQL.

A0092: Check that you have not set

     log_statement=true

in the PostgreSQL configuration file. It seems that this causes
PostgreSQL to return logging information as the first row in a query
result, which totally confuses Exim.

Doesn't sound relevant, but perhaps worth checking.