Re: [exim] Does exim do any spam filtering by

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: vbat
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Does exim do any spam filtering by
valentine savage wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if EXIM comes with some spam filtering by default once
>started.

Nothing other than rejecting the most outrageous SMTP syntax (e.g.
syntactically invalid EHLO/HELO commands..)

>Could you tell me what spam headers it looks for in by default:

Strange question.

As you may know, Exim is a "Mail Transport Agent" (MTA). This is the
software that sends and receives mail directly to/from remote hosts. As
such, when exim receives an incoming message, it typically arrives more
or less directly from the originator's site.

In other words, Exim is the server program that receives spam directly
from the spammer. No "X-Spam-Status" or other message header lines have
usually been added at this point -- at least not ones you want to trust.

It is, however, possible for Exim to directly or indirectly perform some
checks (e.g. via SpamAssassin), and then _add_ headers at this point.
Your Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) or Mail User Agent (MUA, i.e. your mail
reader) can then filter your mail into separate folders based on these
headers.

>Can anyone tell me if you can have Clamav configured just for anti virus
>alone with out configuring any scanning software

Sure you can.

Basically, you want to see if your copy of Exim contains the
"Exiscan-ACL" patch. Type:

    # exim4 -bV

Look for a line that says something like:

    Contains exiscan-acl patch revision 21 (c) Tom Kistner
[http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/]

If you don't have this, replace your copy of Exim with one that contains
this patch -- see the above URL for details.

Now look for a file named 'exiscan-acl-spec.txt'. This file contains
all the instructions you need, and is relatively easy to follow.

Also see:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Spam-Filtering-for-MX/

-tor