Re: [exim] spamhaus.org

Author: Richard Clayton
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Exim-Users \(E-mail\), Frank Elsner
Subject: Re: [exim] spamhaus.org
In message <a0620051abda6ae40782c@???>, Giuliano Gavazzi
<eximlists@???> writes

>At 3:51 pm +0200 2004/10/28, Frank Elsner wrote:
>>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:39:54 +0200 Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
>>
>>> Their point of denying mail to postmaster is quite sensible in
>>>their situation.
>>
>>Your access was denied due to blacklisting. I can't imagine that they do not
>>accept <postmaster@???>. But of course they should it in _any case_.
>
>they do bounce postmaster and abuse from anyone, apparently.

I raised it directly with Steve Linford who said (clearly for public
consumption, so I quote it here)

- ------
Spamhaus.org is pretty much every few days under one mailbomb or another
and therefore regularly has to ban mail to role addresses such as
postmaster and abuse to kill mailbombs, bounce-bombs, list-bombs, etc.
Some spammers send out millions of spams with Return-Path addresses such
as "abuse@???", etc. And on top we have an amount of net users
who think 'postmaster@???' is good for forwarding all their
spam to, and some net users who think they're spiting spammers by
subscribing to mailing lists using addresses such as "list-
me@???", "abuse@???", "postmaster@???", etc.
So the traffic we get at these role addresses is not traffic we can
handle in a way other than bouncing it.

www.spamhaus.org has a Contacts page on which our email address is well
displayed, so users don't normally have any trouble contacting us.
However users who only want to contact us via 'postmaster' or 'abuse'
role accounts, can't. (Don't worry about reporting us to rfc-ignorant,
we've been listed there for at least a year or more, as has half the
world, we have yet to hear of any ISP actually using rfc-ignorant).
- ------

>I agree
>they should give a better explaination.

their site, their rules :) but you could always suggest a better text
for them to use (and getting text that doesn't confuse someone sometime
is a very skilled job)

>I think the message that said
>my domain was blacklisted actually referred to my server being added
>to their connection time blacklist... (presumably because it is on a
>ADSL, a possible source of mail bombs).
>This is a exemplary case of site policies requiring to send RFCs to the dump.

spamhaus is not a normal place and does not handle normal email. I think
you should take that into account and carefully consider the deep
philosophy behind the old English phrase "rules are made to be broken"

- --
richard @ highwayman . com                       "Nothing seems the same
                          Still you never see the change from day to day
                                And no-one notices the customs slip away"