Re: [exim] IRIX build: daemon.c won't compile

Top Pagina
Auteur: eis-users
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] IRIX build: daemon.c won't compile
Torlaf,

[IRIX 6.5.16]
> Depends on how you see it. It's almost exactly 2 years old. Someone
> called it "ancient", but I don't quite agree.

SGI releases new versions exactly every 3 month. In fact, these are not
complete different releases but updates which install smoothly if you use
the Upgrade feature of inst/swmgr. It's like Windows Update function, so
installing new versions every 3 months is not a big deal as it does not
break or change a lot.

> But I've been told that the latest and greatest IRIX release has
> socklen_t. Mine doesn't

The oldest version of IRIX I could check is 6.5.19 which already has
socklen_t.

> Well, like I said, the brand-new releases don't appear to need it, so it
> depends on how old releases you want to support... Beware of the fact
> that SGI distinguishes between "feature" and "maintenance" upgrades,
> though. It could be that that you need the update even with a fresh OS,
> if you followed the "maintenance" path instead of the "feature" one.

No. (1) include files does not differ between "maint" and "feature" stream,
(2)socklen_t is not a "feature" and will be in both and (3) SGI no longer
have this policy, so both streams are combined and there is only one
release of IRIX 6.5.25.

I agree with you that it would be fine, if exim would compile without
trouble on older versions of IRIX but it is nearly impossible to test all
versions of exim on all older versions. Defining a typedef socklen_t int
yourself is not a big deal and should fix it.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting        | Freie Universität Berlin
heiko@???       | Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327 | Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327 | 14195 Berlin