Re: [exim] IRIX build: daemon.c won't compile

Top Pagina
Auteur: Toralf Lund
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] IRIX build: daemon.c won't compile
Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>I'm now trying once more to build Exim 4.30 on our IRIX server (since the SGI
>>"freeware volunteers" never seem to get around to releasing a new binary ;-/)
>>

>I used to compiled every release of Exim on IRIX, just to make sure.
>Unfortunately, I no longer have access to an IRIX box (the particular
>system was upgraded to a different OS). However, I think 4.30 is old
>enough to have been tested that way.
>

>>daemon.c:144: `socklen_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
>>

>1. Check to see if socklen_t is defined anywhere in /usr/include/*
>(recursively). Some operating systems don't seem to have it. Older ones,
>I guess. Is your IRIX old?

Depends on how you see it. It's almost exactly 2 years old. Someone
called it "ancient", but I don't quite agree. You really ought to
support releases that old, I think. Or at least, I truly hate it when I
have to upgrade *everything* to get one package to build or install even
though my system is really just a few months old. (That happens a bit
too often in the Wonderful World of Freeware... Or actually, I'm not
sure the situation is better with commercial software, either...)

But I've been told that the latest and greatest IRIX release has
socklen_t. Mine doesn't

>2. Exim actually uses a macro SOCKLEN_T, which defaults to socklen_t.
>The following OS are currently expected not to have socklen_t:
>
>OS/os.h-OSF1:#define SOCKLEN_T    size_t
>OS/os.h-SCO:#define SOCKLEN_T       int
>OS/os.h-SCO_SV:#define SOCKLEN_T       int
>OS/os.h-Unixware7:#define SOCKLEN_T size_t

>3. You can just define SOCKLEN_T in exim.h and see if that works, or add
>it to OS/os.h-IRIX.

Didn't help. But now I notice that SOCKLEN_T doesn't actually appear in
the sources. Maybe I need a later exim source...

>4. If you are using a modern IRIX, tell me, and I'll put it in the
>standard file.

Well, like I said, the brand-new releases don't appear to need it, so it
depends on how old releases you want to support... Beware of the fact
that SGI distinguishes between "feature" and "maintenance" upgrades,
though. It could be that that you need the update even with a fresh OS,
if you followed the "maintenance" path instead of the "feature" one.

- Toralf