Re: [exim] Alternate callout verification sequence suggestio…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: V. T. Mueller, Continum
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Marc Perkel
Kopio: Exim User's Mailing List
Aihe: Re: [exim] Alternate callout verification sequence suggestion
Hi again,

On Sonntag, 24. Oktober 2004, Marc Perkel wrote:
> According to the docs - this is the sender callout sequence:
> For a sender callout check, Exim makes SMTP connections to the remote
> hosts, to test whether a bounce message could be delivered to the sender
> address. The following SMTP commands are sent:
> HELO </primary host name/>
> MAIL FROM:<>
> RCPT TO:</the address to be tested/>
> QUIT
> May I suggest something different.
> HELO </primary host name/>
> 250 helo MRLRY
> MAIL FROM:<>
> 501 bogus mail from
> # fail detected - try different address
> MAIL FROM: <some real email address - possibly the To: header?>
> 250 OK
> RCPT TO:</the address to be tested/>
> QUIT
> This would also return a flag set indicating that the domain rejects
> null senders.
> Who likes this idea?

I don't! It would gain you zero in delivering NDNs and friends, plus
the overhead with two systems behaving that way.

What is your motivation in doing all this? Is your intention fighting
SPAM? Do you want remote users to receive bounces? Or are you just
tired of others "not playing by the rules" and feel better after you
have them reported? Don't get my wrong - I'm asking this since the
discussion is about how things could be done and I think it would
help to clearly specify *what* should be the precise goal for all
that.

Cheers,
vt
--