Re: [exim] SSL Certificates and EXIM

Autor: Walt Reed
A: Brent Clark
CC: Exim-Users \(E-mail\)
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SSL Certificates and EXIM
On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:36:48PM +0200, Brent Clark said:
> Does anyone have link, URL, etc for full explantion, in lamens terms, a
> description of using SSL cerificates with Exim4.

> I basically want to know as much as I can from creating the cert (i have
> seen a few examples from google) to installing the cert on the Exim
> mailserver and my mail clients, users. Basically the full ins and outs

I just setup a new exim server with an instantSSL.com cert this morning
(instead of a self-signed one...) It's Very simple really.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/FAQ_17.html
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_37.html#CHAP37

Specifically, section 37.3: "The certificate file may also contain
intermediate certificates that need to be sent to the client to enable
it to authenticate the server's certificate." I concatenated the two CA
certificates sent to me by instantssl with my new cert into a new file
and used that for the tls_certificate line. Exim sends the whole thing
to a client so it has the complete chain.

I'm able to use the same cert on apache, exim, and courier imap. I just
manipulate it in various ways for the different applications. LDAP is
next.