[exim] Re: Exim rejected RCPT not temporary

Autor: Giuliano Gavazzi
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: Exim rejected RCPT not temporary
At 8:20 pm +0200 2004/10/04, Alex Neumann wrote:
>"Giuliano Gavazzi" <eximlists@???> wrote in message
>> At 1:11 am +0200 2004/10/04, Alex Neumann wrote:
>> >"Giuliano Gavazzi" <eximlists AT humph.com> wrote in message

[...]
>> you should be a bit more verbose in your deny rules! Also you should
>> know what your deny rules are, but if you cannot work out why those
>> emails where rejected do a
>
>I know my deny rules are, but these denys just make no sense.

so you do not deny empty senders?

>> exim -bh 217.72.192.242
>
>Ok, this is a good idea.
>

>> and go through the SMTP dialog with the same parameters (do you know
>> how to do it?).
>>
>> I wonder if xxx AT web.de is not forwarded to andreas AT yourdomain,
>> that would explain the bounce arriving to your account at the same
>> time as the rejection.
>
>What do you mean ?
>Didn't get the point.

because if the email from xxx@??? had been rejected this could
cause a bounce to xxx @ web.de and if that is forwarded to andreas @
mydomain.de it would explain the message from <> to andreas
(originally to xxx but then forwarded). Sorry, I could have probably
put it more clearly...

>> If you also do sender callout and reject empty senders this makes for
>> some interesting effects...
>
>Where can I check this ?

just look for "callout" in your exim configuration.

>> Perhaps you should also have warned us that your email address is
>> protected by that boring challenge/response SpamEater system.
>
>Eh ? It isn't !
>I use greylisting, spamassassin and dns bl, as well as clamav for AV
>scanning.

Ah, then what is this:

[...]
         * This is a computer-generated response message *

Thank you for your email about
[exim] Re: Exim rejected RCPT not temporary

This is an AUTOMATIC confirmation that your email has been
received by my ANTI SPAM service BUT NOT YET DELIVERED TO
ME. You need to authenticate yourself before the email will
be delivered. You only have to do this once.

TO CONFIRM YOUR ADDRESS PLEASE COMPOSE A NEW EMAIL TO ME
WITH MY PUBLIC PASSWORD disburse48 ANYWHERE IN THE SUBJECT.

I will be notified of your original message immediately
and you should not receive a confirmation message like this
from me in the future.

Thanks!
Alex Neumann

and below there's a reference to http://www.SpamEater.com/

this system checks your POP account and pick up messages every 5
minutes. Did you really not set that up? Odd.

Perhaps you should first look into that. But did you receive my
message via the list only or also as a personal copy?
I am sending again a copy to you (but this time in BCC and not TO)
and see if it happens again.

Giuliano