Re: [exim] Compile advice: 4.42, SCO 5.0.7, gcc, SOCKLEN_T d…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Frank S. Bernhardt
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Compile advice: 4.42, SCO 5.0.7, gcc, SOCKLEN_T definition

Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Frank S. Bernhardt wrote:
>

>>I've just compiled and got working EXIM 4.42 under a new SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
>>machine using the GNU utilities.
>>
>>The only problem I had was with the preprocessor definition (correct term?) of
>>SOCKLEN_T (socklen_t) not being defined in daemon.ca, exim.c and smtp_in.c. I
>>looked at an older version of EXIM and saw that under that release it was
>>defined as 'int'. I edited the programs accordingly and everything (seems) to
>>be working. I then found a reference to SOCKLEN_T in exim.h so I presume that
>>I should have just edited that file by replacing 'socklen_t' with 'int'.
>

> The right thing to do (I'll do it) is to put a definition of SOCKLEN_T
> into the OS/os.h-SCO file.

Ahh, makes sense. As I said, I'm not a C programmer and have trouble
finding my way around.

>>Also FYI the 'ar' program doesn't exist under SCO (not unless you install the
>>SCO Development System) but 'gar' does get installed as part of the GNU
>>Utilities so that needs to be specified in the 'Makefile' instead of 'ar'.
>

> It would be possible to put
>
> AR=gar
>
> into OS/Makefile-SCO, but I'm slightly wary about this because I'm not
> clear from your message whether gar will always be available on SCO
> systems. Can you clarify?

I agree; don't do it. It has only been with the 5.0.7 release that SCO
has been distributing the GNU utilities. Before that we had to buy/use
their Development system that included 'ar' or we had to roll our own
'ar'. However, 5.0.7 users can still purchase the Development system so
I think the most that should be done is to place a comment in the README
or in the Makefile itself of the possibility of using gar or ar.

Which brings up another point. Whenever I have built EXIM under SCO
(since v3 anyway) I've had to adjust in the Local/Makefile the paths of
chown and chgrp to /bin (from /usr/bin). Should that not be changed in
OS/Makefile-SCO? It's no big deal for me to change it all the time but
you raised the issue yourself. :-)

> Even without any change, you can always put
>
> AR=gar
>
> into your Local/Makefile; you do not need to edit the main Makefile.

I guess I wasn't clear on this. I did exactly that; put AR=gar into
Local/Makefile.

Philip, thank you for taking the time from your busy day to address this
minor issue. It is clear to me that EXIM is truly a labour of love.

--

Regards

Frank S. Bernhardt
b.c.s.i.