Re: [exim] support for domainkeys

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: David Ward
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] support for domainkeys
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:50:47 -0400, Dean Brooks <dean@???> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:35:41AM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> > I think people get confused about SPF / Sender-ID in regards to spam.
> I'm glad you posted this. I've been sitting on the sidelines totally
> confused why everyone is so interested in SPF. It seems to be of
> absolutely no use other than to deal with spam zombies/proxies, and
> even then, it won't be possible for us to really be strict on its
> implementation until there is close to 100% adoption.

SPF is meant to help with identifying FORGERIES more than anything
else. I know I get really annoyed when someone uses one of my email
addresses as the from address of their spam messages and then receive
the bounces/wrath from the destinations.

It also helps with the "Update your account now" type scam mail that
might otherwise appear to be from a real company.

In terms of fighting spam it does not do it in isolation, but if a
spammer is using SPF it is pretty easy to add that domain to a DNSBL
and pretty much guarantee that anything coming from those domains is
spam.

Yes, there are some issues with SPF as well, but that does not
eliminate most of its usefulness. As long as the domain is using SPF
then one can be reasonably assured that they can check the source of
the message and bounce it if not valid (except for non-supported alias
forwarding if some of your messages come that way).

David