Re: [exim] Exiscan ACL and whitelist

Autor: Tor Slettnes
A: Jim Archer
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exiscan ACL and whitelist

On Sep 22, 2004, at 08:52, Jim Archer wrote:

> I need to quickly whitelist some addresses in my Exim4 / Exiscan ACL
> (on Debian Linux) configuration. I have been reading and I understand
> I can't have per-user whitelisting because of the nature of the SMTP
> protocol. However, is there an ability to specify a global whitelist?

Yes; you simply need to create (or modify) the relevant ACL statement
to accept mail from these hosts. For instance, prior to any statement
pertaining to Exiscan-ACL (the ones containing hte "spam = " and/or
"malware = " conditions), you can insert:

     accept hosts  = ${if exists {CONFDIR/whitelist-hosts} \
                                 {CONFDIR/whitelist-hosts} {:}}

Alternatively, if you are only concerned about SpamAssassin, you can
add something like the following to SpamAssassin's configuration (in
/etc/spamassassin/local.cf):

     whitelist_from_rcvd   *@*    sesame.csx.cam.ac.uk

Finally, whitelisting hosts on a per-recipient basis is also possible.
In essence, in response to each "RCPT TO:" command received from the
peer, you would check for a file (e.g. ".forwarders") in the
recipient's home directory (or e.g. in a LDAP directory, database,
etc). If the sending host is listed there, you would set a flag to
indicate that the message should be accepted. (In the DATA acl, before
invoking the "spam" or "malware" conditions from Exiscan, you would
check for this flag).

For details, see:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Spam-Filtering-for-MX/exim-forward.html

-tor