Re: [exim] Re: [CLUG-tech] moving to exim

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: [CLUG-tech] moving to exim
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:54:43 +0200, Izak Burger <izakb@???> wrote:
> Let me explain the exim3 notion, and then I will say what changed in exim4.

Sorry to interrupt here, but why? The OP hasn't used Exim before, why
are you confusing him about how a 2-year-old version of the software
used to work? Surely he's got enough to worry about already?

> The second thing that changed is that the distinction between
> routers and directors sort of blurred. There are no directors anymore,
> just a sort of seperator (no_more) in the conf file that specifies where
> the remote routers end and the others (formerly called directors) begin.

Please stop spreading hopelessly incorrect information. That last
statement is complete rubbish - it's not even worth spening time
telling you how and why.

> At this point I'm going to have to point you to the exim docs.

And I'm going to point *you* there.

> There is
> a chapter that explains how exim delivers mail. They essentially tell
> you the same stuff I just did.

Except the docs will explain it correctly.

Sorry to be blunt, but you're really not helping the new user by
telling him things he doesn't need to know, and things which are just
plain wrong.

Peter