Re: [exim] Exim not sending NMS FormMail messages

Author: Bruce Kallick
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users, Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not sending NMS FormMail messages
On 9/8/04, at 9:03 AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> [...]
> I'm _guessing_ that it doesn't have a From: header, because you said
> that 'require verify=header_sender' failed and complained that it
> couldn't find a valid sender in _any_ headers.

Yep, that's what happened -- but when I either precede the 'require
verify = header_sender' by 'accept hosts = 127.0.0.1' or else replace
it by 'require verify = sender' the message is accepted and has a
'From: postmaster@???' header.

>> I don't understand what you mean by "anyone else out there who also does
>> the same check" -- would you please try to clarify that for me because
>> it has me worried. Does adding "accept hosts = 127.0.0.1" incur some risk,
>> do you think?
>
> If you are sending mail without a From: header, then it will fall foul
> of anyone else doing sanity checks on the mail. Setting your own mailer
> to accept it isn't sufficient -- you need to make your own mailer _fix_
> it so that the rest of the world will accept it too. That's what
> 'control=submission' does.

Ah, I understand that now. But, as noted, the From: header is present, and
moreover, these FormMail generated messages are sent only to addresses
at domain.com which is a local domain.

> But I'm only guessing that there's no From: header in the mail itself.
> Can you confirm that?

There is a From: header, although there is no To: header -- just an

> What happened when you tried 'control=submission'? What version of Exim
> are you using?

It had no effect. I'm using exim-4.41-140.

    -- curmudgeon