Re: [exim] Exim not sending NMS FormMail messages

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Bruce Kallick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not sending NMS FormMail messages
At 2:38 am -0500 2004/09/08, Bruce Kallick wrote:
>On 9/8/04, at 7:40 AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
>> That will make your machine accept it, but what if there's anyone else
>> out there who also does the same check? I suspect this outgoing mail is
>> missing a From: header, which is why I suggested that you use
>> 'control=submission' to make Exim add one, rather than simply bypassing
>> the checks.
>
>The messages are sent with a From: postmaster@??? header and, if I
>understand this correctly, the line
>
>require verify = sender
>
>which is part of the RCPT-time ACL would reject a message that lacked a
>From: header, so I thought the 'control=submission' was unnecessary.

at RCPT time there is no header! That line checks the envelope sender domain.

>I don't understand what you mean by "anyone else out there who also does
>the same check" -- would you please try to clarify that for me because
>it has me worried. Does adding "accept hosts = 127.0.0.1" incur some risk,
>do you think?

well, if a message without From: header (generated locally, since you
accept 127.0.0.1) is delivered outside (that could happen by
forwarding for instance), and if the remote server has the same ACL,
it will be rejected as it is missing the From: header and is not
generated locally.

Giuliano