Re: [exim] Exim not sending NMS FormMail messages

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Bruce Kallick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not sending NMS FormMail messages
On 2004-09-03 at 17:43 -0500, Bruce Kallick wrote:
> When I look in /var/log/exim_rejectlog I find this entry:
>
> after DATA: there is no valid sender in any header line

That's RFC822 header verification, so an ACL (DATA ACL?) has:

verify = header_sender

That's documented in section 38.12 of The Exim Specification; the
item from spec.txt is:

-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
verify = header_sender/<options>

This condition is relevant only in an ACL that is run after a message has
been received, that is, in an ACL specified by "acl_smtp_data". It checks
that there is a verifiable sender address in at least one of the Sender:,
options are given later, starting at section 38.20. You can combine this
condition with the "senders" condition to restrict it to bounce messages
only:

     deny    senders = :
             message = A valid sender header is required for bounces
            !verify  = header_sender
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------

> So it seems that Exim is rejecting the message because it finds no valid
> senders (even though <postmaster@???> should be a valid sender).
> Indeed, if I uncheck the box in the WHM Exim Configuration Editor labeled
> "Verify the existence of email senders" the problem goes away -- but this
> is too big a price to pay, I believe.

Your Exim Config thing is turning on sender-in-message-header
verification, not (just?) SMTP Envelope Sender verification.

> might try without hurting myself, using the advanced mode of the WHM Exim
> Configuration Editor, I'd be ever so grateful.

Pass, sorry. But the should be enough to look more closely at what your
FormMail setup is doing wrong in missing out the relevant headers.

I don't know if Exim applies its fix-up logic for adding a Sender:
header before or after this ACL is run, but you might look to see if
that config tool lets you specify "unless it's locally submitted".

HTH,
--
Phil Pennock,       Senior Systems Administrator,      Demon Netherlands
NL Sales: +31 20 422 20 00      Thus Plc      NL Support: 0800 33 6666 8