Re: [exim] log error

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Assumpte: Re: [exim] log error
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Ron McKeating wrote:

[...]
> OK thanks for that, there is an
>
> 2004-09-03 10:19:32 1C39cr-0000iS-N9 Completed
>
> Entry in the log, but the user is getting an error on OE, saying SMTP
> server has not responded in 60 seconds would you like to wait. Also a
> phone call to the addressee says the email has not turned up yet, even
> though this log entry is 2 hours old.

Surely the submission of the mail into exim by the client, and the
transmission of the queued mail from exim to the distant MTA, are
two separate activities? You seem to be rolling them into one in your
description of problem.

What little experience I have of Outhouse Excess, the messages
it offers to its user are works of fiction, and likely to hinder
rather than help in the work of debugging any problem which arises.

Use exiwhat to find out what exim is doing. Look in the logs
(mainlog, rejectlog and - if necessary - paniclog) to find out what it
did.

> Surely if we have completed entry in our log we can say it has at
> least gone to their mail server ?

Sounds plausible to me.

If you're -really- not sure whether there's a problem at the client
submission stage, maybe you could stick a clause into your system
filter which will recognise the test message when it's submitted, and
freeze it for postmaster inspection. Then you could manually add a
local recipient (exim -Mar ...) such as your own address to it, and/or
manually run a delivery (exim -d -M ...) to get a closer look at what
is happening.