Re: [exim] log error

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: Exim-Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] log error
Ron McKeating said:
>> OK thanks for that, there is an
>
> 2004-09-03 10:19:32 1C39cr-0000iS-N9 Completed
>
> Entry in the log, but the user is getting an error on OE, saying SMTP
> server has not responded in 60 seconds would you like to wait. Also a
> phone call to the addressee says the email has not turned up yet, even
> though this log entry is 2 hours old. Surely if we have completed entry
> in our log we can say it has at least gone to their mail server ?

No - 'Completed' doesn't mean 'delivered as addressed'. 2 things:

1. The 'SMTP server has not responded...' warning from OE is bogus at best
- it will pop up every <timeout> seconds while it's busy sending the large
message, it's not sensitive to whether data is moving or not. You can
safely ignore it. If the message is no longer in the user's outbox, it was
sent.

2. Use exigrep on your exim mainlog to see everything that happened to the
message. If you have a '=>' or '->' line, it arrived at some other server
and your responsibility for it ended.

Peter