Re: [exim] "503 AUTH command used when not advertised" probl…

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "503 AUTH command used when not advertised" problem
On 9/1/2004 19:28, "Fred Viles" <fv+exim@???> wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2004 at 19:22, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote about
> "Re: [exim] "503 AUTH command used w":

> | On Sep 1, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Fred Viles wrote:
> | > Hmmm. Question your assumptions.
> |
> | I can state that it worked with the 4.22 before I switched from
> | Mandrake to gentoo. The exim is exactly the same.
>
> I'm not calling you a liar. All I know is that when I'm faced with a
> "that can't be" type mystery, one of my assumptions (usually one I
> didn't realize I was making) turns out to be wrong.
>
> Maybe for some reason the clients weren't doing STARTTLS before?
> Maybe they were doing smtps?
>
> | I tarr'ed it up and
> | put it back (all in /usr/local) so the exim binary and conf files were
> | the same (and keys and certs).
>
> Then you should still have some logs from before the upgrade that
> would confirm or disprove that the exim version has been 4.22 all
> along. And maybe, depending on your log options, a record of pre-
> upgrade STARTTLS and AUTH usage?
>
> | This has been working for months before
> | I did this upgrade and no user complained that it didn't work (as it
> | was working). The clients involved are OS X Mail.app (OS X10.3.5
> | version) and a version of Mulberry for Windows. These are the two main
> | users of the system and both are having the same problem.
>
> Two unrelated clients with the same misbehavior? That does sound
> unlikely. Interesting...

Mail.app in Mac OS X 10.3.5 is known to do this correctly, when working into
Exim 4.34

Here's a Received header from a test message:

    by entiat.olympus.net with asmtp (TLSv1:RC4-SHA:128)
    (Exim 4.30)
    id 1C2ifM-0001F4-Vs
    for <me, but not at the address I used for lists>; Wed, 01 Sep 2004
20:53:41 -0700

I happened to select CRAM-MD5. I checked the use TLS box.

Same result working into Exim 4.42 (once I coerced Mail.app into accepting a
certificate which it quite rationally didn't want to accept...this server is
being developed as we speak)

Mail.app version is 1.3.9 (v619)

I don't have Mulberry for Windows handy at this time (my old
cycle-challenged, battery-challenged Windows laptop presently has Lookout
Express and Thunderbird).

Chad, off list, if you wish to set up an account I can use for testing and
provide the account details, I'll be happy to try connecting to your server.

--John