Re: [exim] "503 AUTH command used when not advertised" probl…

Author: Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Subject: Re: [exim] "503 AUTH command used when not advertised" problem
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I better understand how this works now.

(continued below)

On Sep 1, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Fred Viles wrote:

> | and it works
> | fine using the same exim conf talking to another server I have with
> | TLS.
>
> What version of exim is running on that server? 4.10?

yes

> I see you're running 4.22 on the upgraded system. Peter already
> mentioned that, prior to 4.20, exim would honor an AUTH request even
> if it hadn't advertised it.

Ok, so that helps me understand why it was working on my other exim
servers.

> | It is related to my upgrade somehow, even though the exim
> | installation was not touched in the upgrade.
>
> Hmmm. Question your assumptions.

I can state that it worked with the 4.22 before I switched from
Mandrake to gentoo. The exim is exactly the same. I tarr'ed it up and
put it back (all in /usr/local) so the exim binary and conf files were
the same (and keys and certs). This has been working for months before
I did this upgrade and no user complained that it didn't work (as it
was working). The clients involved are OS X Mail.app (OS X10.3.5
version) and a version of Mulberry for Windows. These are the two main
users of the system and both are having the same problem. I need to
test better to see if I can see some more info or something to clue me
in.

Thanks
best
Chad