Re: [exim] [Exim RPM w/ mysql-enable for FC2] Anybody out th…

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Hochstrasser Benedikt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Exim RPM w/ mysql-enable for FC2] Anybody out there whohad installed mysql enabled exim rpm for fedora core 2?
> I understand that the fancy linux packages (be it rpm, deb, tgz) ease up
> installation quite a bit, especially if you haven't installed a
> compiler; a bad habit many commercial distributions seem to have re
> their "free" or "light" versions. I also understand that whoever did a
> package had to decide about the contents or the ./configure options.
>
> Am I just old-fashioned when I think the full potential of a software is
> only unleashed when it's compiled on the spot where it'll be used? Who's
> installing vs. who's compiling? Poll is open. 1st answer gets a slashdot
> karma point. :)

I do both! I use debian so I download the exim4 sources, make my custom
file to my needs, compile, and install the resulting package.

I found that -light was so light I couldn't keep it on the table and -heavy
put a hole in my table =)

I've been thinking for a while of patching exim so that all lookups,
authenticators, routers, transports, etc are loadable modules. This would
make it easier to add modules to the program w/o recompiling the whole
thing. Be nicer if it were written that once you -HUP the daemon, it'll
load the required modules depending on the runtime config file.