RE: [exim] [Exim RPM w/ mysql-enable for FC2] Anybody out th…

Author: Hochstrasser Benedikt
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] [Exim RPM w/ mysql-enable for FC2] Anybody out there whohad installed mysql enabled exim rpm for fedora core 2?
Andreas Gietl wrote:

> rpm -i <exim-rpm> --nodeps

Hmm. I have a real dumb question. Maybe it's not a dumb question but I
feel a bit dumb about asking it (and please, my question was just
triggered but not caused by the actual problem in the subject, I don't
blame anyone)

I understand that the fancy linux packages (be it rpm, deb, tgz) ease up
installation quite a bit, especially if you haven't installed a
compiler; a bad habit many commercial distributions seem to have re
their "free" or "light" versions. I also understand that whoever did a
package had to decide about the contents or the ./configure options.

Am I just old-fashioned when I think the full potential of a software is
only unleashed when it's compiled on the spot where it'll be used? Who's
installing vs. who's compiling? Poll is open. 1st answer gets a slashdot
karma point. :)

--
Ben