Re: [exim] What am I missing that this gets through?

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] What am I missing that this gets through?
Hi Tim, on Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:22:35 -0600 you wrote:

> Message 1C1biA-0004ou-M3 has been frozen (delivery error message).
> The sender is <>.

[snip]
> What am I missing in my ACL that is letting null senders get through?

Nothing. You should very much be accepting null senders (bounces)!

However, there's a good chance those bounces are being generated on your
machine, in which case a more pertinent question might be: why are those
bounces being generated? On a well-managed Exim system these days, there
should only very rarely be the necessity to generate bounces at all; if
you reject "bad stuff" (bad recipients, obvious spam, as much other
spam/virus material that you can) at SMTP time coming in, then you won't
have to generate bounces, and will save probable innocent recipients (such
as the one you're trying to deliver a bounce to) from receiving
"collateral spam" in the form of bogus bounces.

Tim