Re: [exim] possible bug: sieve filter not working when route…

Author: Michael Kefeder
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] possible bug: sieve filter not working when router uses data instead of file
Michael Kefeder wrote:

> With your hint in mind I created a syntax error on purpose (using sieve
> in the .forward file) i got the same error-message, therefore your
> assumption is true that there's a fetching problem creating a syntax
> error. Running exim in debug mode showed me there's a "syntax error in
> line 2" when the sieve script is fetched from DB, I will investigate
> what that is all about (i think it's about wrong newlines or sth. similar).
>
> The syntax error "handling" is a problem though, because filtering will
> fail silently (no user feedback, and looks normal in the logs) as long
> as there is a syntax error in the sieve script...

Replying to myself here:
It indeed was a problem with the newlines - who would have thought, that
using phpMyAdmin in Firefox on linux would create \r\n line-endings when
inserting data. I should stick to the mysql shell, like i do with psql...

Anyway, problem solved. But i wont make the feature available for my
users until there's a way to pass syntax errors to them.

Mike