Re: [Exim] domino to exim 3.36

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] domino to exim 3.36
On fre, 2004-08-20 at 14:54 +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> They could change the SMTP banner with which their server announces its
> ESMTP support (smtp_banner) - if it doesn't say 'ESMTP' then your domino
> server shouldn't EHLO and shouldn't use the SIZE extension.

this may be true for Domino, but I'd like to make clear that the text
string returned as part of the connection banner is irrelevant according
to RFC 2821 (this is true for _every_ response code in SMTP). a
connecting client should first try EHLO, then fall back to HELO if the
server says EHLO is an unknown command.
--
Kjetil T.