Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction te…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction techniques
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Richard Clayton wrote:

> >Looks good to me! If such boxes go berserk and start mailing to
> >random addresses, we'll reject the mails out of hand for having a
> >faked HELO. If you want to get mail from your specific box, all that
> >you need to do is configure an exception in your target MTA.
>
> You've rather missed the point I was making

Do you think so? It didn't seem that way to me.

> -- which is that some people observe spam and viruses saying HELO
> your.domain instead of the correct HELO my.own.remote.identity and
> use this as a heuristic to reject email that they don't want.

Exactly my point. We'll reject any misbegotten mail that they try to
send us, unless/until some special arrangements have been negotiated.

> As to getting an exception configured ... easy for you to say :)

If you've got a router, then you've presumably also got some
computers. So configure your misbehaving router box to send mail, in
a well-controlled fashion, via one of those. I certainly wouldn't
trust my colour printer (which is also keen to send emails) to submit
mail direct to some remote MTA over which I have no control!!! Scary
thought.

all the best