Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought

Author: Christian Ashby
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought
My two-penneth:

>    (a) To invent a totally new parameter ("overall callout timeout");

If it were a new parameter I'd rather see it called 'callout session
timeout' or similar...

>    OR
>    (b) The redefine the existing callout time to be an overall timeout as
>        well as a timeout on individual connections and SMTP commands.

This could work, but would require people to set the timeout quite high for
the whole session.

>    OR
>    (c) To take some multiple of the existing callout time (e.g. 4 times).

Maybe, but if it's not an adjustable parameter, somewhere down the line
people will ask to adjust it...!

> I feel that inventing a totally new parameter is making this whole thing
> too complicated, but you may think differently.

As long as the naming is sufficiently clear, and the default is (say) set
at 4x the existing callout timeout, then there's little reason for this to
complicate things, just to be another comment in the config file that may /
may not be used.

I for one feel that this could be a useful setting.

Christian Ashby
Spiralinks, Inc.