[Exim] Re: Exim with user credentials in a SQL database?

Author: Brad Stockdale
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Exim with user credentials in a SQL database?
Hello all,

I'm new to the list, and new to Exim...

Currently I am using Sendmail on all of my mail servers... While Sendmail
does the job of handling mail, there are some things I deplore about it... Go
figure. lol...

In any case, I decided it was time to start investigating other MTA's for
the next time I replace my main SMTP server...

One of the features I really desire is the ability to use an SQL backend
for maintaining configuration data... However, I also need to have it store
the actual user account info (instead of the traditional /etc/passwd
&& /etc/shadow && /etc/group)... Basically I want to have the ability to
create modify and delete user accounts, aliases, virtual domain emails, etc
all via an SQL back end.... I do NOT want it to deliver email to database
tables... From what I read, Exim doesn't do that anyway. Which is great.

From looking at Exim and comparing it to Sendmail, Qmail, and Postfix, I
think that Exim will do what I desire with the most ease...

But I just wanted to verify with all you current Exim users... Can Exim
actually get info about user accounts out of the SQL backend? Or does it
still require the passwd/shadow/group such as a typical MTA?

I know that I will also need to patch procmail so it can read the user data
from the same database. I also know that I will need to patch my POP server
to do the same (in this case Qpopper)... I believe patches already exist for
both of these, so this shouldn't be a problem...

Anyway, is what I'm looking to do possible with Exim?

Thanks!
Brad