Re: [Exim] OT: Problem with recipient verification to an exc…

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Problem with recipient verification to an exchange server
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> Nathan Ollerenshaw said:
> >> I've found that the exchange server accepts all mail at that domain,
> > then generates a bounce internally. Marvellous.
> >
> > This is the off topic part, but hopefully one of you smart fellers have
> > dealt with this before; does anyone know the damn little gui switch I
> > need to flick in Exchange 2000 to make it work?
>
> Exchange 2003 has this feature in the GUI. Exchange 2000 doesn't. There is
> a complicated trick with SMTP event sinks for Exchange 2K, but you don't
> want to go there.

For those interested, I have the following notes on this matter:

With Exchange 2003, it IS possible to make Exchange reject SMTP recipients
that don't correspond to valid mailboxes (or public folders, or
distribution lists).

http://www.mail-archive.com/exchange@intm-dl.sparklist.com/msg00703.html

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/mailrelay/

http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/10/exchange_launch.html

For Exchange 2003, look here:
http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/09/exchange_2003_r.html

According to this post, there is a plugin for 5.5 that can do it:
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-September/017440.html
(though the working is slightly ambiguous, I'm pretty sure that the
plugin is for Exchange and not for MimeDefang).

According to Edgar Lovecraft, regular on this list, you can do it for
Exchange 2000 with something called a "Custom Event Sink":
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/maintain/smtpserv.mspx

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services