[Exim] Why must file for redirect router not have group writ…

Author: Colin Sampaleanu
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Why must file for redirect router not have group write permission?
Can somebody explain why the file referred to by the redirect router
must not have group write permission?

I am using a standard 'userforward' setup as per the default install,
which uses the redirect router to support a .forward file in the user's
home directory.

One user was getting his messages going into a black hole, and when I
ran Exim with debugging messages, I saw this:
error -1 0: bad mode (0100664) for /home/rodj/.forward: 020 bit(s)
unexpected

Sure enough, his forward file had read/write permission for both the
user and group, instead of read/write for the user, and read for the
group, as the working .forward files in the system do. But I am confused
(and curious), as to why Exim would care about this, and refuse to
deliver the mail.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Regards,
Colin