Re: [Exim] Exim Load Problems

Author: Michael Scheffler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Load Problems
Tom Daly wrote:
Hi Tom,
[...]
> Anyone have any ideas on how we can tune this box/exim for more performance?

We have a server here, sending out 120.000 emails within ~2h. It's a
specialized newsletter-server, so it actually does not recieve much mails.
The server itself is a 3x XEON 1.9GHz using HT, 4gig RAM, running
Trustix Secure Linux (1.9.0 ... a pre-2.0-Beta) and exim 4.20. The queue
is on a 3.8gig RAID-5 (GDT 8x23RZ) ext3 partition, logging on another
ext3 partition within the same RAID. With sending out the mails, the
server hits a max. load of 20 sometimes ...
The only thing I "tuned": setting 'split_spool_directory = true' and
compiled with fsync turned off (evil, I know ... it was Nico's idea ;).
Beside that, a nscd is running on the machine to locally cache
dns-requests. The exim-config is nearly "out-of-the-box", we only do
some header-rewriting and routing to handle bounces.
The thing I still could tune is going back to ext2 which was faster
(mainly with dumping the mails, we needed ~2 minutes for 120.000 10kb
mails instead of ~7-10 minutes now).
But again: this is a specialized setup (we use forced delivery with some
domains, too), so I don't know if you can compare it.

> Thanks in advance,
> Tom Daly

Bye,
Michael