Re: [Exim] maildirsize file corruption?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nathan Ollerenshaw
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] maildirsize file corruption?
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:

> is it possible for the maildirsize file to be corrupted?

Anything is possible. :-)

> Does Exim do any locking when writing to this file, and could it
> conflict with courier-imap?

Exim is supposed to follow the rules that are described in

http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html

No locking is involved. When creating a new maildirsize file, the data
is written to a temporary file which is then renamed. When adding a
single line to an existing file, the logic is

(void)lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_END);
(void)write(fd, buffer, len);

The file is opened with O_RDWR. Hmm. I wonder if it should be
O_RDWR+O_APPEND instead?