Re: [Exim] maildirsize file corruption?

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] maildirsize file corruption?
* Nathan Ollerenshaw <nathan@???> [20040811 09:59]: wrote:
> Guys,
>
> is it possible for the maildirsize file to be corrupted?

I am almost tempted to think it is possible, but I have no evidence.
Let me put my case below.

> Does Exim do any locking when writing to this file, and could it
> conflict with courier-imap?

Now that this has finally come up, let me also chip in with the
troubles that I have had with this file. I could possibly be overlooking
something rather obvious, but well, here is my experience:

First the basics:

Exim-4.41
Quota is imposed using the MTA.

Here is transport has the following options:

local_delivery:
 driver              = appendfile
 check_string        =
 directory           = ${home}/Maildir/
 create_directory
 directory_mode      = 0700
 delivery_date_add
 envelope_to_add
 group               = mail
 maildir_format
 maildir_tag         = ,S=$message_size
 maildir_use_size_file
 message_prefix      = ""
 message_suffix      = ""
 no_mode_fail_narrower
 quota               = ${lookup {$local_part} lsearch \
                    {EXIM_HOME/quota-maps}{$value}{100}}M
 no_quota_is_inclusive
 quota_size_regex    = ,S=(\d+)$
 quota_warn_message  = "You have exceeded your Quota, yuck! yuck!"
 quota_warn_threshold = 75%
 return_path_add
 mode                 = 0660

Every now and then I have this situation where mails to a
user are bounced because the "quota is exceeded".
At that particular moment, a check on disk usage inside
the Maildir shows that the quota is far from being hit.

Could this be symptom of the maildirsize file getting corrupted?

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post