RE: [Exim] Exim & remote MUAs - please check this?

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Alan J. Flavell
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Exim users list
Aihe: RE: [Exim] Exim & remote MUAs - please check this?
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Chris Russell wrote:

> I have to be honest but on any exim installation I do, I remove the
> ident checks.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but when you have occasion to report abuse to
the admin of some large multi-user systems, you will be missing one
very useful piece of evidence.

Furthermore there have been situations where an unsecured proxy can be
identified outright by the answer which the ident query returns.
Admittedly these cases have now become rare - there used to be
thousands, but in the last 10 weeks (grep grep grep...) we rejected
only 36 cases of "CacheFlow Server" and 12 of "squid" - but maybe
other cases will come to light; if we're not logging them, then we
might never find out.

(E.g I've just noticed "U=mirapoint" in the logs which seem to be
related to misguided handling of viruses which had counterfeited
sender addresses in our domain. That might be good for some
spamassassin points, at least...)

By all means cut the timeout down - we're using
rfc1413_query_timeout = 7s

hope this helps