Re: [Exim] EST vs US/Eastern Timezone setting

Author: Kevin P. Fleming
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] EST vs US/Eastern Timezone setting
Philip Hazel wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the intricacies of all the timezones either. Nor
> indeed of how they work in Solaris. Checking on my Gentoo Linux box, I
> see that the data for "EST" is different (and smaller) from
> "US/Eastern". Looks like EST doesn't do daylight saving (at a guess).
> This was my misapprehension. Sorry about that. The whole area is very
> murky. I've made a note in case the book is ever revised.

That would be a correct assumption. For values of EST that refer to the
USA (not Australia), EST would mean GMT-5 all year round. US/Eastern, on
the other hand, means GMT-5 or GMT-4, depending on whether DST is in
effect or not. The same would be true for CST vs. US/Central, MST vs.
US/Mountain and PST vs. US/Pacific.

Since I live in an area of the US that does not observe DST, I am
required to use MST, rather than US/Mountain, on all my systems.